Re: [OM] B/W films....

Subject: Re: [OM] B/W films....
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 13:51:15 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

> I agree on you with respect to your comments on ID-11. It's a good developer
> which does do something good for the films. Ultrafin is - if I should describe
> it in few words - "an average product, available in bulks everywhere at a low
> price".

That's encouraging.  I have a couple of reasons for having decided to
standardise on ID-11 (which is, of course, the same formulation exactly
as D-76).

The first is that I can get it for free, or nearly.  You'd be surprised
what some of the chemistry labs around here chuck out, and there aren't
many ingredients to it. Sometimes it's even simpler - I've just been
given a sealed can of powder to make 5 litres of D-76.

The second is that I'm still a relative beginner to this processing
game, so I want to keep things simple and try to get to know one sort of
developer and one family of films.  I've decided to focus on Ilford
Delta, mostly 400 and 3200, and I have a cassette of Pan F that I'm
going to try out for finer grain work sometime soon.  Ilford recommend
ID-11 at 1:1 for Pan F.

I've settled for the Delta family mainly because of the 3200.  At least
one person has said to me that they like the graininess in the prints,
though my reason for picking it was simply speed.

> I never use my negative developer more than once, since my experience
> and understanding is that doing so may be on expense of quality.

I can't see the point of re-using either.  At 1:1 dilution I use 200 ml
of stock solution so I can develop 5 films with a litre of developer.
IIRC, by re-using I could develop only 1 more film and have to work out
extended development times as I go, and risk a quality drop.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |