RE: [OM] ES-10 Update, and I'm angry!

Subject: RE: [OM] ES-10 Update, and I'm angry!
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 10:52:52 -0700
At 08:01 AM 1/16/00 -0500, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

[snip]

>There may be many reasons why it is preferable for you to run NT at home
>but, as we've discovered here, there are also reasons not to.  If you
>are running NT at home then perhaps you should consider a dual boot
>system to support such things as ES-10's.

A simpler solution which I use: buy a new drive (listen, 10 Gig EIDE's at 7200
RPM are practically free nowadays) and two removable hard drive bays.  Install
one bay, putting your present HD into its removable component.  Install the new
drive into the removable component of the second bay.  Swap drives.  Put NT on
your new drive (and whatever else you want to run on it).  Leave your "old"
drive for Win95/98.

I do this with four separate removable HDs in one bay.  This gives me four
completely different systems -- two Win98 systems (with different application
bases), one NT system and one Linux system.  All only using one physical
machine, and all the same hardware (other than the HDs, of course).

Removable bays, in Edmonton, Canada anyways, cost about $25.00 CDN each.  Worth
every penny -- and a lot cheaper than buying a whole new machine every time you
want a new OS (and much less hassle than dual-booting or multi-booting off of
the same disk, which as I've discovered, is highly prone to errors or downright
failure).  "Plug 'em in, plug 'em in!"

Garth

"Q: What's long and hard on a Canadian?
  A: Winter."