Re: [OM] To code the reality

Subject: Re: [OM] To code the reality
From: Bob Sull <w8imo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 19:11:04 -0500
Ángel Lobo wrote:

> 1.- For a good comunication is essencial de common code. I guess IMHO is
> not a common code on the world.

On the www, world wide web, this is a common code as are most of the
others you mention.

> 2.- Some members on this Oly List don´t speak english very well and to
> write a little massage like this is a hard work. After a lot of months I
> don´t understand thinks like ROFL, BTW - WTB, CLA, IMHO, OEM, RBG, VGA,
> FYI, FTI, etc, etc
.

OEM, RGB, VGA are standard computer terms.  OEM=Original Equipment
Manufacturer  RGB=Red Green Blue, an old standard in computer monitors.
VGA=The new standard for monitors, a variation is Super VGA.

FYI is a standard nemonic for For Your Information in many varied areas
like work or hobby things..

> Some time ago I ask to some members of this Oly List why they write on the
> farewell of a message the name of his town and some letters that I guess
> are the state on the USA. This people forget that a lot of people don´t
> know the USA and that we must not to know the letters NY, NM, TN, etc. I
> think this is case a of bad education.
>
> With the TIA, BTW, CLA, etc, I think is the same bad education too.
>
> Not for the letters.For to mind that all the people around the world must
> know the same things and the same codes that I know on my little
> neighborhood of my little town of my own country.
>
> To some Oly List members: Please, don´t code the realitry. The most details
> I see on it, the more I like it. (More information and best comunication).
>
> Ángel Lobo.
> Cuenca - Spain.

The "codes" you are talking about are shorthand that most 'net surfers
use to save time and bandwidth.  If you are new to the 'net you will
soon be using these too.  It is like learning a new language.  Asking
what they mean is the right thing to do.

Happy Holidays,
Bob

--
                   //////