Re: [OM] To code the reality

Subject: Re: [OM] To code the reality
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 09:41:34 EST
In a message dated 12/21/1999 9:03:11 AM EST, angel.lobo@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> This people forget that a lot of people don´t
>  know the USA and that we must not to know the letters NY, NM, TN, etc. I
>  think this is case a of bad education.
>
>  With the TIA, BTW, CLA, etc, I think is the same bad education too.

>  To some Oly List members: Please, don´t code the realitry. The most details
>  I see on it, the more I like it. (More information and best comunication).

Angel, your points are well taken. However, I speak in defense of the US
members when I say that these abbreviations (BTW,CLA, etc )have been in
widespread use (in my neighborhood anyway, and that's the problem, from your
point of view) for a while now. It's the way we "speak" when writing in our
English, and it serves several other purposes- to save the time you would
spend typing everything out, saves precious Internet bandwidth, and actually
shows some courtesy to others that we keep the lenghts of our messages
manageable. I wouldn't call it "bad education" as most of us on the list from
all countries I'm sure, have a good education.
Also, in everyone's defense, I think we all are reminded everyday how this
whole Internet communication phenomena has exploded beyond our expectations
and how quickly it has happened which explains the abbreviations for the
states of the US (and no country mentioned) at the end of some signatures. We
all forget we are speaking to the world, not just our country.
Also- take no offense from this, please,- but we are conversing in English,
and the majority, I assume, of English speaking Internet users are from the
US, so it would follow that the idioms of the majority's language would find
their way into "normal" usage.

Regards,
George S.
Hasbrouck Heights