Re: [OM] 300/4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 300/4.5
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 00:18:52 +1100
"george" <geanders@xxxxxxxxx> wrote

> Good job.  I think you've put it to rest: the 300/4.5 *does* have some sort
> of special glass.  In fact it has the same type of EPD glass as the 250/2,
> 350/2.8 ... I can vouch that it takes great photos!

Having just got one, I hope I can use it to do so. But without doubt
the handling and minimum focussing distance are poor. Consider, though,
the combination of 300 mm f/4, 1.4x and 25mm tube for the two
major systems:

Canon: EOS1n body can't spot meter with a tube behind the lens.

Nikon: Can't autofocus with a converter because this lens doesn't
have a motor. Can't autofocus with any tube.

This combination is useful for bird and wildlife photography,
although obviously a 300 f/2.8 would be nicer and is what the
camera makers hope you will buy. Of the two systems, I think
Nikon's offering is less crippled for my purposes, but still
a bad buy if they bring out a new lens and proper tubes
soon afterwards. I might as well have cheap crippled gear
as expensive crippled gear.