Re: [OM] 300/4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 300/4.5
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 10:13:56 -0800
I am still trying to decide between a Zuiko 300 f4.5 and a Tamron SP 300
f2.8 for a 300mm prime lens. While the speed (and supposedly good
performance with a 1.4x or 2.0x matched converter) of the Tamron is very
tempting, I am still leaning towards the Zuiko, especially since it is
less than half the going price used. This brings me to my question which
is what is the US fair market price for a 300 f4.5? A local camera store
here in Santa Cruz, CA. has an unusual (for them) amount of used OM
treasures. However, I think they tend to be on the expensive side. Among
those treasures is a 300 f4.5 for $399.00 "firm" on consignment. It
looks to be in nearly flawless condition, good mechanical condtion, no
apparent dmage, but with a little bit of dust inside (but no mold or
other growths). Is this too much to spend if I have my heart set on one
of these? The least I would expect the Tamron to be is in the $800-1000
range. I know, I know...for the type of work I do I *should* have the
Zuiko 350 f2.8 but I don't see anyone making donations and the business
(and personal) finances just ain't there for one now. Thoughts?

Have a safe and happy holiday season to all out there in Zuiko-land!

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
www.motorsportvisions.com