Re: [OM] 300/4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 300/4.5
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:02:44 +0100
: For motor sports photography I'd take the Tamron 300/2.8 over the Zuiko
: 300/4.5.  The extra brightness cannot be discounted, nor can internal
: focusing.  The Zuiko 300/4.5 is a bear to follow focus in comparision to a
: good IF lens.
:
: I believe the Tamron is an IF lens.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

You're right and I fully agree. I have both lenses, and the Tamron is much,
much,
MUCH easier and faster to focus because of lens speed and IF. From 2.5m to
infinity is just one smooth wrist movement of 90 degrees; the Zuiko goes from
3.5m
to infinity in about 270 degrees and the focus ring is not nearly as smooth. Oh,
and the Tamron has LD glass. And it accepts 43mm rear filters, a bit cheaper
than
the 72mm filters of the Zuiko I believe. Then there is the teleconverter issue.
The Zuiko with the 1.4xA may be acceptable (420mm/F6.3), but with the 2xA you
get
a hopeless 600mm/F9 lens, way too slow for action photography. The Tamron gives
you a 420mm/F4 and a 600mm/F5.6.
With its 2200g the Tamron can still easily be hand-held which can't be said,
unless you're a weightlifter,  about the Zuiko 350/2.8 with its 3900g.

A H@nz (or is it THE H@nz?)