[OM] The Dummy with only a 1-12 screen / Was- Is the 2-4 screen the righ

Subject: [OM] The Dummy with only a 1-12 screen / Was- Is the 2-4 screen the right one for me?
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:16:51 -0800
-----Original Message-----
Strangely enough, I have had good luck with a 1-12 screen.  Olympus states
this is designed for macro and microscopy work, but I use it often with long
telephotos.  I believe Frank van Lindert uses the 1-12 also.
Brian P. Huber

SNIP!!

Hi Brian and all,
You gave me a nice laugh this am.  You reminded me of the only time in many,
many years I went on vacation with only one body.
I keep a pristine little OM2n with a 1-12 screen in it dedicated to a VST
Macrostand for 20mm & 38mm use.  I had my camera bag packed with several
lenses that "would not kill" me if they were lost or stolen and also in
there was my brand new 3Ti.  I fretted for days, should I take it or not?
My old OM1n or even the OM2n would be just fine.  Literally just minutes
before we left for the airport, I grabbed the OM2n and took out the 3Ti.  I
have never tried the 1-12 with long teles, but I can tell you with
HUMILIATING experience, it doesn't focus very well with normal lenses.

Soon it was time for the family portrait.  A big family, once in five or so
years we all get together at once, kind of portrait.  Just imagine the
expression on my face when I (Mr. Photographer??) realized what I had done
and did not have a back up camera, much less a screen.
How do you explain to the patiently waiting family members that the camera
is ok, you just have the WRONG SCREEN! ("What's a Screen??") So, being the
knowledgeable photographer I am, I set the focusing ring manually, flipped
to auto, framed through the darkened corners by feel and fired away.  But
then someone said, "give me the camera and let me take a picture of you and
Theresa"(my wife)-- Duh!  That's when I said "Honey, did you bring your
Olympus Stylus?  This one is a little to complicated!
Duh - Dummy
Buddy