[OM] What's the market like for a Zuiko 16mm 3.5?

Subject: [OM] What's the market like for a Zuiko 16mm 3.5?
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 14:42:42 -0800
BJ & others,

I have to agree that "size does matter" in choosing a lens & camera
system.  Why can't some designers from Canon or Nikon steal some designs
from Olympus.  It's becoming obvious that Olympus executives don't care
to sell to their life long SLR customers such as myself and some others
on this list.  I've toyed with the idea of selling off some of the OM
bodies & lenses to aquire a clean used Nikon N90s and and one or two
superwide Nikkor lenses for immersive vr.  The first reason (second
being price) I chose OM over Nikon & Canon on that memorable early June,
1974, day in Northern California, was that the OM-1 fit in my young
hands so much better than those massive Nikon & Canon clunkers. My Bogen
VR tripod head rig now even has some special features for the newer
Nikon bodies.  You won't see this for OM gear.  Most major third party
manufactures have all but given up on making things for the OM user.
And you're right on the money on the digital transformation.  We all
know that regardless of who makes the new professional digital bodies,
all will have mounts for Nikon (or Canon).  Will any have mounts for
this fabulous Zuiko glass?  Why would a studio who has never used Zuiko
before rush out to buy Zuiko glass now when it's becoming so pricey and
it has a questionable future?  Hopefully some of the Olympus executives
read these posts and maybe they will get a clue.  Will someone invite
them to join our discussions?

In speaking of the digital transformation, I have designed (in my dreams
of course) a digital flex body (a bellows design with tilts & swings &
shifts) which will incorperate a Zuiko mount.  Using current
professional quality 3 chip ccd arrays (meaning that the image size will
be less than 35mm x 24mm), coverage area will not be a problem in
extreme tilts & shifts & swings.  With this current 3 ccd chip array
(from 3000x2000 pixels to about 2000x1400 pixels) one could produce
excellent product and general photography for both printed materials and
ofcourse on-line media.  This would allow us to capitalize on our
biggest investment in our 35mm gear (our glass) and alllow us to
transition into a 100 0igital realm without having to buy newer & less
qulity optics.  I know Horsemen makes a very expensive (and somewhat
useless IMO) tilt & shift bellows for 35mm bodies but you have to of
course use their very expensive lenses.  So any thoughts on this from
you (BJ) or anyone else on this list who sees the questionable long-term
relationship with our beloved Zuiko glass?

Phillip Franklin