[OM] What's the market like for a Zuiko 16mm 3.5?

Subject: [OM] What's the market like for a Zuiko 16mm 3.5?
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 03:28:15 -0800
BJ & others,

I'd love to get my hands on a 16mm full frame fisheye for my very on,
but can't yet justify the high prices of the OM gear. (BTW the Olympus
Outlet price on this lens in as new was $409.95 and B&H was selling them
new for $599.00 in fall of '93, - found my old wish list stuffed in the
silver OM System catalogue) However I use and have daily access to the
Nikkor equivalent from a studio I use.  My main use for this lens is to
shoot QTVR interiors of new cars, motorhomes, boats, and airplanes.  As
I get more calls for this type of work I may just buy the mint Nikkor
16/2.8 AIS from the studio (we've talked in the $400 range) B&H new for
$749.00 (gray). The Zuiko 16/3.5 is $1100 new from B&H. So I think we
all see the writing on the wall here for us working guys. Old man
Olympus is saying F*ck-you to us long time Zukioholics with ridiculous
high prices. I can still buy a decent used Nikon body and come out ahead
on this ensemble. Just to note, that 16mm Nikkor is good enough for
demanding QTVR stitching, so I do not think quality and design of the
lens are what's jacking up the price on this.  If this trend on new &
used prices continue ... I will have to change a 25 year habit of only
buying OM gear.  Also the Canon EOS EF 15/2.8 (which is almost used
exclusively by the all of the top sports shooters) goes for $600.00 new
(gray) at B&H.  Even in the brand new designs with super low dispersion
glass (super lenses) can usually be had for $1200 to $1400  (Tameron).
This 20+ year old sometimes single coated OM design is getting a wee bit
pricey.

Sorry for the ranting. But I think we all see this trend.

Phillip