Re: [OM] Re: 200mm primes

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 200mm primes
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:35:57 -0600 (CST)
On Sat, 11 Dec 1999 04:54:30 -0800 (PST), Joseph wrote:

>>Are we reading the same data? The 200/5 mounted on the OM-2000 with
>>aperture and mirror pre-fire and proper support is an A-/B+ lens!
>
>Umm, Gary's data shows the single-coated 200/5 only achieving that
>rating at f/16.

Take another look:

200mm f/5 Zuiko (single-coated)

OM-2000 with mirror and aperture prefire and Bogen Telephoto Lens
Support
Vignetting = A
Distortion = slight pincushion
Aperture  Center     Corner

f/5       B-        B-
f/8       B         B-
f/11      B+        B
f/16      A-        B+
f/22      B+        B
f/32      B         B-

>>>Runners up were the 200/4 Zuiko
>
>>Which is also an A-/B+ lens.
>
>the 200/4 is better than both the single and multicoated 200/5's
>at wider apertures, according to Gary's data,

Given Gary's caveat: "differences are significant across fullletter
grades only", my own lens tests (see the archives for discussion -
subsequent analysis of negatives and transparencies supported my
original conclusion from prints), and the reports of other list
members, I still consider the 200/4 and 200/5 virtually
interchangeable with only a minor tradeoff between speed and size. As
noted elsewhere, when speed is a critical issue the 180/2.8 is the
lens of choice.

>which data were you looking at?

The following:

200mm f/4 Zuiko (multi-coated)
Vignetting = A
Distortion = None

All tests shot with the same lens, in 9+ condition.  These multiple
tests were
done to determine the effects of vibration from shutter travel and
the auto
diaphram mechanism..
OM-2000 with mirror and auto diaphram prefire, lens supported by a
BogenTelephoto Lens Support.

Aperture  Center    Corner

f/4       B         B-
f/5.6     B+        B