Re: [OM] Is the 2-4 screen the right one for me?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is the 2-4 screen the right one for me?
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 16:59:39 +0100
Buddy wrote:

: I am not sure where the above information "...focusingscreens.htm"
: originated from but it is in conflict with the little sheet that comes with
: the 2-13 and 2-4 screens.

The statement that the 2-4 is suitable for super tele photography is based on my
own experience. I don't have any of the 400, 500, 600 or 1000mm Zuikos, but I do
have the Zuiko 200mm/F4, Zuiko 300mm/F4.5, Tamron 300mm/F2.8, Tokina 500/8
mirror,
Sigma 600/8 mirror and both the 2xA and 1.4xA converters, so I can make various
combinations ranging from 300 to 1200mm. All of these combinations, including
the
Sigma 600/8 that Per specifically mentioned, work fine with the 2-4; there is
no,
or virtually no edge darkening.

: The sheet states that both the 2-13 & 2-4 are NOT
: compatible with the 400mm, 500mm, 600mm & 1,000mm lenses.  It reads;
: "Microprism, split-image prism and edges of the finder will darken".  There
: have been several of the list members here who have great success with the
: 2-4 and 400mm+ lenses so I figured I would try one.

I interpreted this sentence and the table not as the screen being incompatible
but
as being semi-compatible, meaning it can be used as long as you can live with
the
fact that microprisms, split-image (both not present om the 2-4) and finder
edges
darken. Btw, I just scanned the table from this sheet and added it to the page,
at
the bottom.
http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif/findergroup/focusingscreens.htm

: I recently shot about 6 rolls of Astia through an OLY 400mm f6.3 with this
: screen.  Immediately I noticed the darkening around the edges, not bad just
: not even.  Interestingly enough, when I put the OLY 1.4TC for 560mm, the
: dark edges disappeared.  I haven't a clue why this happened.

Well there you go. So on the 400mm the edges only darken slightly, but not to
such
an extent it will prevent you from using the screen.

: Oly makes a specific screen for super teles, the 1-8.  This screen is
: wonderful with these long mm lenses and is nearly as bright as the 2-4.  I
: keep one in a body just for tele use.

The 2-4 is at least one stop brighter, which is a lot when you work with F8 or
slower lenses. Too bad, btw, that the 1-7 can't be used with mirror lenses. The
microprisms don't work and the edges darken extremely.

: The jury is still out for me on whether the 2-4 will replace the 1-4n and
: 1-10 as an "ALL AROUND Screen".  I still need to test it with a variety
: conditions and lenses.  It seems to have the same problem of lack of snap in
: focus as the 2-13.  One of the possible areas for the 2-4 to really shine
: may be in close-up work.

Because the matte of the "2" series screens is so fine, the moment when the
image
snaps in focus is not so clearly defined. The 1-8 more or less has the same
problem, for this reason it is adviced to use the varimagnifinder. I find the
2-4
more difficult to use with wide angles. For normal, tele, super tele and macro
photography it works very good. Sometimes when I'm too lazy to install the 1-11
or
1-12 I use it even with the 20mm and 38mm lenses for extreme macro.

H@nz