Re: [OM] Reveries over Yorkshire

Subject: Re: [OM] Reveries over Yorkshire
From: "Chris Barker" <christopher.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:31:06 +0100
Sorry John

I did not realise at first that there were photos linked to your message.  Yes
it is a Lancaster from WWII.  I don't know how many are left flying, but it
cannot be many.

In the RAF there is the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, based at RAF
Coningsby in Lincolnshire, which consists of Spitfires, Hurricanes and a
Lancaster.  The Lanc is painted black as a night bomber (the only minimum-risk
way ;-)) and is called "City of Lincoln".

I don't recognise the markings on the Lanc in your shots, but it is not the BBMF
one.  Lovely shots.

Now I know that you are one of the "spotters" who hangs around the end of the
runway... we have woods at each end of our runway here at RAF Bruggen but the
eastern end is accessible by tracks through the woods.  During Operation Allied
Force, we had to guard it in case of disaffected Serbs getting at the aircraft
lining up for takeoff for their missions.  It is a very noisy place to be!  When
I was at this base for a couple of months very soon after joining (pre-OM days,
I had a Minox B and a Rollei B35) in 1975, 2 Phantoms took off in full reheat as
I was cycling past the end of the runway.  I have never been sooo scared in my
life - it was like approaching the gates of Hell.  80,000 pounds of thrust going
supersonic about 30 ft over my head!

Chris

~~ ><>
Chris Barker