Re: [OM] Reveries over Yorkshire

Subject: Re: [OM] Reveries over Yorkshire
From: "Chris Barker" <christopher.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:05:09 +0100
I have read "Enemy Coast Ahead", but many years ago (1981).  I seem to remember
that Guy Gibson was involved in the "Phony War" during which he flew Hampdens
dropping leaflets.  However, I suspect that by the time he was decorated he was
flying Lancasters or Wellingtons - a brave man.

Speaking of which, 7 of the aircrew on my base have been decorated for their
exploits in the Kosovo air campaign: 1 Distinguished Service Order, 1
Distinguished Flying Cross and 5 Mentioned in Despatches.  They flew missions of
between 5 and 7.5 hours in length, refuelling 3 times, often in cloud and
turbulence and faced strong defences over the target area.

Chris

~~ ><>
Chris Barker
Mailto: cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx or mailto: cmib@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx