Re: [OM] Reveries over Yorkshire

Subject: Re: [OM] Reveries over Yorkshire
From: Paul Tierney <paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 03:22:56 -0800
>I have read "Enemy Coast Ahead", but many years ago (1981).  I seem to
>remember
>that Guy Gibson was involved in the "Phony War" during which he flew Hampdens
>dropping leaflets.  However, I suspect that by the time he was decorated
>he was
>flying Lancasters or Wellingtons - a brave man.

Off topic, but for those who don't know, Guy Gibson was not a brave man
just for dropping leaflets. He was Wing Commander of the Dambusters, 617
Squadron flying from RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire.

Amongst many other uniquely dangerous aspects of this mission, the
Lancaster bombers had to use spotlights as a rangefinder to determine the
exact height at which to drop the 'bouncing bomb'. This made them a perfect
target for the dams' defensive gunfire.

Gibson did not survive the War but his second in command - Leonard Cheshire
- flew on one of the A-Bomb flights to Japan and went on to found the
Cheshire Homes charity in UK

- www.modus.co.uk - web design and publishing, domain names & mailing services.