[OM] Traffic in National Parks (was "eat your heart out...")

Subject: [OM] Traffic in National Parks (was "eat your heart out...")
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:09:44 -0500
George's analysis of the Yosemite situation is dead on.  We all may not
agree on various political and personal choice issues, but I feel that
George spoke more truth on this issue than we want to think about.
Granted, the current mode of operation isn't working very well, but the
suggested options, which lean heavily towards "public transportation" and
"Disneyland type of staged areas" should scare all of us into action.
Yosemite and Yellowstone are two National Parks that are really
experiencing overpopulation problems.  However, over 900f the tourists
never get out of the main attractions.  It doesn't take too many footsteps
to get away from others and spend some time in solitude with your Zuikos.
Unfortunately, the NPS isn't content with just limiting the traffic
backcountry permits at many National Parks, which are extremely tough to
get in some cases (Yosemite, Glacier).  And then, to top it all off, George
is right again regarding the camera issue.  The NPS has gotten into
merchandising in a big way, and your taking pictures means fewer
book/postcard/poster/calendar sales.  The NPS will attempt to protect all
forms of revenue in any way they can.

Now to present the flip side of the bus issue, I understand that it works
pretty good up in Alaska at Denali National Park.  Of course, the tourist

Flip back again:  For those of you who think that limiting our freedom in
certain national parks is ok, how do you feel about taking bus tours?
There are advantages, but I'd prefer to be able to be at a nice photogenic
spot for however long and when I'd like to be there--not for 20 minutes
during midday flat light.

Ok, another flip-flop:  I've visited Mackinaw Island in Michigan many
dozens of times.  You can't drive there and you must pay through the
schnozz (nose) to get there and once there you can't drive any motorized
vehicles.  Is it a problem?  No.  They have sufficient number of ferry
boats servicing the islands and you can get back to the mainland well after
dark (great for sunset shots on the island).  The main difference is that
Mackinaw Island has always been this way and designed for personal
transportation using bicycles, horses, or foot.

I wish people (NPS, Sierra Club, us) would recognize that there are
differences between the National Forests, Wilderness Areas and the National
Parks.  Each has a purpose.

Ken (living too far from any NP) Norton