Re: [OM] Traffic in National Parks (was "eat your heart out...")

Subject: Re: [OM] Traffic in National Parks (was "eat your heart out...")
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:46:52 -0400
There  happens to be an old but consumer driven reason for this.  When
we were mostly farm and not industry centered in our economy it made
sense for school to be out during the busy growing and harvesting
seasons.  Many times older boys missed school anywise because of the
September and October months school was in session.

Today there is little need for scheduling school around parent/student
needs.  Parents take students out when it is best for them any ways and
seldom is a student needed for harvesting.  In fact, most parents would
appreciate not having to find a baby-sitter for the summer months.

More recently, many school districts in the south have started the first
or second week of August instead of the more traditional after Labor Day
start.  The new problem will seem to be when teachers can find a block
of time to recertify or take continuing ed classes as summer is becoming
a moot point.

Gregg