Re: [OM] Traffic in National Parks (was "eat your heart out...")

Subject: Re: [OM] Traffic in National Parks (was "eat your heart out...")
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:34:22 -0700
Chris;

Chris Barker wrote:

> Charles
>
> I'm pretty sure that it is inaccurate to refer to the National Parks Service
> as
> part of the Government (although I confess I am not well up on the way it is
> connected).

The NPS in US is part of the Department of the Interior. Most definitely
a government organization whose officials are subject to the political
winds and whims of the moment. I'll refrain from describing which way
those winds are blowing right now in the land of the free and the home
of the Liar.

SNIP
> but I wonder if the National Parks Service would be the same, or
> merely a well-meaning but generally inefficient organisation whose mission has
> been lost or outdated: it no longer understands its customers.  Does this fit?

Maybe, altho well-meaning depends on which side you're on.  Although the
DOI understands plenty well it's corporate customers - the logging and
timber industries.  Yes, our keepers of the natural resources who don't
want me driving my car into Yosemite are the very same who build roads
for logging trucks not more than 5 miles from the park entrance. Then
they allow the timber companies to strip these forests for .. are u
ready for this ... $1.00 per tree. And that's AFTER the taxpayer has
paid for the road. They're selling practically the entire Tsongas
National Forest in Alaska to the Japanese for, again, $1.00 per tree.

How's that for a bunch of brilliant government protectors of my land?
And they worry about me and my car.

Oh if only those who scream at me because I want to have the simple
freedom of driving my own car would turn their attention to something
like this that REALLY matters.

BTW, I responded off-list to the person who called me an environmental
bigot amoung other things earlier today.  He told me in so many words in
our exchange that he would restrict where I could drive my car if he had
the power to do so. And implied he'd like to also decide what kind of
car I could drive. I pray that people who think this way never gain the
powers they seek in this country.  Last world leader who thought that
way was one of the designers of the Volkswagon Beetle.

george