[OM] Low light photography

Subject: [OM] Low light photography
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:26:22 -0700
From: "LARS BUNDESEN" <lars.bundesen@xxxxxxxxxx>

I am thinking about doing more low light phtography, both with tripod and
handheld...

What I would like to know is if there is a difference between the various
OM cameras about their usefulness for this purpose...

Well, the ultimate low-light OM is the OM-2 (without the "n"). By that I mean "ultimate low-light," NOT necessarily "ultimate camera." The OM-2 will do automatic exposures of an hour or more -- all other OM models have a limit on this, to keep from exhausting your batteries should the shutter go off in your camera bag.

If you decide to go this route, you should purchase (rare, expensive) or fabricate an external battery holder. Otherwise just a few such exposures will kill your batteries. Also, you almost always want some reciprocity compensation -- I find +1 overexposure tends to work well

Unfortunately, these old non-"n" models are unique in this respect, and are hard to find, since people hold onto them for their superb low-light auto exposure sensitivity. (Anyone have one they'll part with? :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>