Re: [OM] Low light photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Low light photography
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:32:22 -0400
I think whoever wrote that is really out to lunch. I'd love to hear where you
read it, if you remember.

I have extensive outdoors experience with medium format. I have used SLRs like
the RZ and RB and have never been able to get truly sharp prints at less than
1/250. I have also used RF and TLRs woth more success; with a Mamiya 7 and C330
I was able to go down to about 1/60 pretty well. A lot has to do with the
substantial mirror slap of MF SLRs.

With 35mm SLRs I can do 1/30 pretty easily and 1/15 if I really concentrate.
With Leica M it's 1/15 and 1/8. Again, probably the mirror is the difference.

Taking the below to its ultimate conclusion, if I mount an 8x10 view camera on
a shoulder stock I can shoot at 1/2 second since a contact print is not
enlarged at all!

Charlie L. wrote:
>>BTW,  I read an interesting article about how the larger the
format (120 vs 35mm etc.) the better for hand holding.
The idea is that you would have to enlarge the print less
so less movement would be evident.>>
Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.