Re: [OM] om4 vs om4t - justifiable price difference?

Subject: Re: [OM] om4 vs om4t - justifiable price difference?
From: Wayne Shumaker <wayne@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:37:15 -0400
The OM4 I had only pulled 2.5x the current of a OM4t. So, depending on
how much you hold the shutter release down, etc. will determine battery
life. My C*nt*x G2 eats batteries more than the OM4. However, the OM4
does not time out on battery check like the OM4t and I suspect that
there may be other functions that might not time out as well, causing
premature death of the batteries. A safe approach would be to turn the
camera to m60 or B if you are worried. Other than that, it's a relative
question how much of a problem 2.5-3x the current drain is.

One thing I have noticed with the OM4t is the slow display activation
reponse time to a partially depressed shutter release. It can be as
much as a second. I assume that the electronics are duty cycled on and
off, and you have to wait until it is ON before it recognizes the half
depressed shutter release. It's possible that some of the OM4's have a
higher duty-cycle rate? As an engineer with the job of reducing current
drain, slowing the duty cycle would be my first choice followed by
minimizing functions that need to be turned on, and adding a timeout
timer.

Wayne
Hopkinton, MA