RE: [OM] Non Olympus flash guns

Subject: RE: [OM] Non Olympus flash guns
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 13:01:47 +0200
Hi,

> If you waited just long enough for the ready light to illuminate, or even
> worse just popped them off in quick succession, then the answer is you
> need to wait longer for the capacitor to fully charge.  Most flashes,
> including Olympus', light the ready light at around 800f full
> capacitor capacity.
> For consistency it is best to wait an extra bit to get the cap fully
> charged.  With my T-32's, the flash will make a short "beep" sounds when
> fully charged about 10 seconds after the ready light comes on.

This is a highly interesting bit of information!

I have noticed that my F280 at times doesn't fire in Super FP mode (4Ti set
to "Auto" and shutter speed was somewhere around 1/125 or 1/250), it had me
puzzled as all "the variables" were set correctly.

Now I think this might be because of what you wrote above. I don't recollect
how long I was waiting exactly, but as I was taking a session of portrait
shots of my girlfriend and we were not in a shoe store, she was being her
impatient self. This typically means I'm "strongly encouraged" to hurry up
with taking pictures, and that makes it difficult to sell the "... still
waiting for the flash to be charged ..." argument. Therefore it is very
likely that the pics for which the F280 didn't fire were taken directly when
the flash-ready light popped up.

Can anyone confirm/deny this behaviour and/or does anyone know of a trick
(or rule of thumb) to check if the F280 really is fully charged? Maybe it
helps to listen carefully if the high pitched charging sound still carries
on for a while after the flash-ready light is lit???

Anyone?

Cheers!
Olafo