Re: [OM] Non Olympus flash guns

Subject: Re: [OM] Non Olympus flash guns
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 09:43:29 -0700
====I have a Vivitar 283 flash gun and set the shutter speed to mechanical
1/60
second and set the aperture according to the ISO / distance dials on the
flash.====

I find Vivs to be extremely accurate.
Why not use the auto mode and choose your f stop?

====I shot a reel of Agfa 400 iso b/w film. Some consecutive shots of the
same
situation using the same aperture and flash gun settings at the same
distance from camera to subject look as if they could be different by about
3 f stops.=====

You should wait a little after the ready light comes on for a full charge.
More open the aperture the faster the recharge.

===I am wondering whether my flash gun could be "on the fritz" by making
more
or less light of shorter or longer durations from one flash to the next. Do
flash guns play up at times and if so how can one check on their
reliability?===

jh ==

It is on the fritz if it keeps happening.  Use fresh batteries and try what
I and others suggest.  If no luck  then see a service person, or better yet,
get a new one. They are cheap for what they are.

Charlie L.