Re: OT Re: [OM] Desiccant source/silica gel source?

Subject: Re: OT Re: [OM] Desiccant source/silica gel source?
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 09:35:12 -0500
Acer Victoria wrote:

> Talc?! All this time I thought it was dust "rice dust" You know.
> What about American rice, then? (Or does the US not produce any rice? I
> have not the slightest idea...and before you ask, I am NOT gonna dig up
> rice production statistics ;-))
>
> /Acer "steppenwolf" Victoria

(would the name be a botanical one? Are you really Victoria Maple?)

The US is a leading producer of rice.  There are several thousand acres
planted in my part of Louisiana alone.  On US produced rice the dust is
"rice dust" left over from milling to remove the husk.

Rice fields attract large numbers of wading birds and are good places to
find (and photograph) herons, egrets, rails, stilts, Ibis, woodstorks,
etc.  Some of my favorite birding spots in the summer are the rice
fields.  In the winter they can be "wrapped up" with ducks and geese and
occassional sandhill cranes.

Jerry Liles