Re: OT Re: [OM] Desiccant source/silica gel source?

Subject: Re: OT Re: [OM] Desiccant source/silica gel source?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:40:57 -0700
>WKato@xxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> In a message dated 99-09-17 10:23:35 EDT, you write:> Bean (rice)
>>bag/survival kit??  I always wondered about the rice in the
>> shakers. Wouldn't the rice become water saturated after a day or so and then
>> be ineffective?
>>
>> Warren
>
>You may have noticed that rice in your pantry does not get water
>logged.  Rice is not very hygroscopic and therefore not a good
>dessicant.  It is used in salt shakers (at least here in HOT and HUMID
>Louisiana) to help break up lumps of salt and serve to knock off the
>lumps that get stuck to the holes in the shaker.  If rice was a good
>dessicant it would not be storable in the humid climates of Asia and
>therefore would not be one of the staple grains of Earth.
>
>Stick to Silica Gel to dry things out.
>
>Jerry Liles

Never saw any water logged hygroscopic silica gel either. Doesn't mean it
is ineffective. Anyone who bakes knows that there is a tremendous variation
in the moisture content of wheat flour.  Grain absorbs moisture. Besides,
Asian rice has to have the talc washed off before it can be used. Now what
is the talc for? To keep the moisture laden rice grains from sticking
together.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx