Re: [OM] Print Copying

Subject: Re: [OM] Print Copying
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 08:42:58 -0500
At 03:58 PM 9/12/1999 +0100, Derrick you wrote:
>Any general advice on copying old photographs would be very welcome.
>In particular, what is the best method of flattening an old print?  I
>haven't worked it out yet, but I suspect that the depth-of-field when
>using extension tubes is not very great.

Derrick,

I did a bit of this about 10 years ago and found that a yellow filter was a
great help for dealing with the kinds of stains that sometimes plague old
photos.  I worked with nothing but window light and very slow film.
Bracket about five ways if you can.  It's surprising how one, just one
exposure, sometimes is the only one that will match the original and not
showed added grain, etc.  I generally found that in developing the film to
my usual times for normal photography that the contrast built up somewhat,
so my best prints were to a soft paper (no. 1, I believe).

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA