[OM] Print Copying

Subject: [OM] Print Copying
From: Derrick Porter <dgporter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 15:58:13 +0100
I want to copy quite a number of old photographs that I have
inherited from my mother. Several relatives have asked for copies and
I would also like to produce a number of copies for my own use in a
larger format. There are a variety of formats but many are as small
as 1 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches.

I have brought my OM1 out of retirement and it is present undergoing
overhaul, mainly to replace the light seals and mirror pads.

I can copy most of these photographs with my standard 1.8 : 50mm lens
and an Olympus f=40cm close-up lens that I have, but I will probably
need to buy a set of extension tubes if I am to fill the field of
view with the smallest prints.

Do I need to buy a set of Olympus-brand extensions tubes or will
anything that fits do?

A second question.  Does anyone have any suggestions for removing
photographs from an album?  The glue that my mother used appears to
be holding as firmly now as when she used it eighty years ago.

Any general advice on copying old photographs would be very welcome.
In particular, what is the best method of flattening an old print?  I
haven't worked it out yet, but I suspect that the depth-of-field when
using extension tubes is not very great.

   Derrick G Porter                               dgporter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                  Tel:  +44 1798 81 2383
   ..... in deepest Sussex .....