Re: [OM] EFS-1 newsflash+++newsflash+++newsflash+++ ;)

Subject: Re: [OM] EFS-1 newsflash+++newsflash+++newsflash+++ ;)
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:05:15 -0400
"Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>I just visited Imageks (you know, the laughing stock of digital photo world)
>website to see what the latest availability prognosis was for their digital
>insert EFS-1, and found a couple of interesting things:
[snip]
>"Because the SLR cameras differ in dimensions, EFS-1 is designed for the
>following higher-end SLR models:
[snip]
>Now my question is: looking at the internal size of these cameras, would there
>be any reason why this contraption, if it ever sees the market, won't fit and
>work in an OM body?

It sounds to me as if these folks are talking even more through their
hats than before. The internal dimensions of essentially every SLR --
in fact every 35mm camera -- I've ever seen are identical. On one side
there's a cavity the size of a film catridge, on the other side there's
a takeup reel with enough space around it to hold the exposed film. In
the middle there is some fraction of a millimeter ahead of the film
plate and behind the shutter curtains. End of story.

The only possible way the those dimensions can vary interestingly is
if N&Co have more space between curtains and film, or more travel
(without taking a permanent set, one hopes) in the back plate. But
if either of those is important, I cringe to think about whether the
sensor will actually be at the focal plane. Another good idea appearing
to tank.

paul

Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx