Re: [OM] Aerial Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Aerial Photography
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:22:36 -0400
Yes, NASA uses very narrow bandpass filters to identify specific surface
features such as mineral deposits or the state of the wheat crop in Russia.
They also have digital detectors that can "see" well into UV and IR
wavelengths - far beyond any humble emulsion we can get our hands on.
However, different tree species, or a single spicies in different states of
health, may have a "signature" wavelength that can be associated to it.
Once known, these images can be scanned and digitized, then manipulated to
show only those parts of the image at a particular wavelength (subtracting
out all others).  Potentially very handy when overlayed on a surface or
topographical map, or stacked to show differences over time.
Hmmmmmm.....this *is* getting interesting :)

John P
there is no "never" - just long periods of "not yet".
there is no "always" - just long periods of "so far".

W. J. Liles <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>