Re: [OM] Aerial Photography

Subject: Re: [OM] Aerial Photography
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:31:53 -0500
Thanks to everyone who responded about areial photography.

I am helping with a research project on Hansen's disease (Leprosy) in
armadillos.  The population in Tensas Parish (county) has about a 30%
infection rate based on serology and biopsies from over 100 captures.
We are now investigating the population dynamics of the collection
area.

What I want to do is use the airplane to routinely monitor the
vegetation and water levels of the research area.  It is my
understanding that IR film can be used to monitor the health of plants
and the amount of chlorophyl present and by inference the productivity
of the plant population.  Photography is also a quick method of
monitoring any changes in the environment and will provide a record that
just cannot be obtained from the ground.  Obviously this will not
replace the foot soldier but, like all good airforces, it should make
the grunt's (gradstudent's) job easier.

I want to do it right the first time so I don't have to change things in
the middle and have a lot of records that can't be properly compared.
Obviously this will take some experimenting so the first flights will be
interesting.  Now all I need is another pilot to fly Tootie Mae while I
shoot the pictures or another photographer to take the pictures while I
fly.  Any volunteers?

The other project is with Geology and Botany.  The Copenhagen hills by
Columbia, Louisiana is a unique area comprising a fossil bed of an
Eocene ocean and a unique assemblage of plants some of which are found a
thousand miles from the nearest other example (such as limber pine,
Ogelthorpe oak, etc).  This is another area that needs aerial survey and
monitoring.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

W. J. (Jerry) Liles
ex grunt (redleg actually)