Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)

Subject: Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 1999 10:25:02 EDT
In a message dated 8/8/99 1:22:46 AM EST, Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I don't know what the coefficient of expansion is for
>  Ti, but when they park the SR-71, they pile sawdust up underneath it,
>  because it leaks like a sieve when it is not at supersonic speed,
>  which causes the Ti skin to expand due to friction heat.
>
>  I don't know why the Concorde doesn't seem to have the same problem.
>  Perhaps because it "only" goes a bit over Mach 1.

    I know the Concorde DOES expand, but I don't know if it truly doesn't
leak, or it does, but the airline keeps it from public view. Wouldn't inspire
confidence if the passengers saw it leaking all over the tarmac, would it? My
guess is that it does, but it's kept from view until it quits leaking.
    Feeble OM content: I've taken my OMs to several airbases in the U.S. with
my pilot friend who is active duty with the Air National Guard ( US Air Force
). Formerly he was active duty with U.S. Marine Corps. The Marine jets have
many stains where they're parked and are actively leaking upon a closer look.
I asked them about that, and the Marine pilots joked (?) to me that it
doesn't bother them to see the fluids leaking as that tells them that there
actually ARE fluids in the aircraft. The Air Force jets, however, don't leak
and if  a leak was spotted, the aircraft would be written up and sent for
maintenance/repair. The AF pilot doesn't have to fly an A/C in that
condition. Has something to do with a much smaller maintenance budget for the
Marines.

    George S.