Re: leaking planes Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)

Subject: Re: leaking planes Re: [really OT] (was: Re: [OM] OM] OT - Titanium)
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 15:58:23 -0500
Acer Victoria wrote:

> Does the Concorde use the same jet fuel as regular commercial airliners?
> How volatile is that stuff anyway?

The Concorde uses JP4 just like all the other jets.  It actually is very
similar to Kerosene or Diesel oil and is not very volatile.

>The SR-71 can get away with pissin' on
> the ground because you pretty much /can't/ light the fuel by accident, so
> no worries.

The SR-71 Habu uses a special fuel that has a very high boiling and
vaporization point to stand the heat generated during flight.  It is not
at all related to other jet fuels or any other fuel in routine use.

(Token Oly content)  The Olympus engines on the Concorde are not named
for a river as far as I know.  Rolls Royce has used birds for some
engine names such as the Nene used in early jets.  Interestingly the
Nene is a flightless goose found in Hawaii.  Makes you wonder how
confident they were in that engine.

I once took a picture of an SR-71 vapor trail with my OM-1.

W. J. Liles