RE: [OM] OM4Ti - Memory Function

Subject: RE: [OM] OM4Ti - Memory Function
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 15:48:37 +0200
Hi,

> The discussion continues. Thank you for your answer, Olaf!

You're welcome...:)

> I followed the steps above (not te first time  :-)  ) and
> only came to the same conclusion as always... It doesn't work as I want...

[...]

> HOW TO USE THE EXPOSURE MEMORY LOCK SYSTEM.

[...]

Hmmmm, most interesting!

> SO... IN CONCLUSION:
> The camera works as Hans wrote, and as I understood.

Well, first off, I interpreted Hans' reply as follows:

"... The exposure value of the next picture you take, read off the film/off
the shutter curtain, will be used for all next exposures untill the memo
function is cancelled..."

So it can indeed also be interpreted in the way you read it, I interpreted
it such that "the next picture" in this case actually meant "the next time
you press the shutter button" (i.e. the first picture you take)...

> Does your camera really work as you wrote, Olaf?

Well, I use the memo function very often in spot mode (in which I'm certain
that the first exposure has the same exposure time as the subsequent ones
stored in memory, since the spot mode enforces these spot metered values,
instead of using the OTF metering), which works fine. Now for centre
averaged metering (from now on: CAM) mode, I think I tried the memory
function once or twice, just to see if it works. I never really use memory
in CAM mode, as I think it's hardly useful (spot mode does the trick for me
in difficult lighting situations, and when I want to use CAM mode I just
take a new reading across pictures, unless, of course you deliberately want
to override this, e.g. when using a shift lens).

I will check this tonight, but if you already verified this and the manual
says the same, then I'm positive mine will not work any differently from
what you say and I'll just blow a shot. :)

> Either I'm not to good at reading English (I'm from Sweden) or I'm right.

For now I would assume the latter is the case.

> I think I'm right, because the light metering in the OM4Ti
> works of how much light hits the film.

True.

> The only way to get that value is to get the reflection from the film.

True again, BUT before you actually release the shutter you already see the
CAM measured value in the LCD. Maybe this is just an indication and during
exposure it will be more precise, but I always assumed that that was the
value that was actually used during the taking of the picture...

Either way, because of the above, I always assumed that you would take a CAM
reading, store that value in memory and that that value would then directly
be used. Now, from what I've read in both your quotes from the 4Ti manual
and Hans' comments, I'm still positive that you lock the value that the LCD
indicates at the time you operate the memory lever (rather then when taking
the first picture), but it doesn't make sense to me that that same value is
then not used during the first exposure...

> BUT THE SPOT METERING then? A contradiction, it seems. IT works as I want
> it to. Is there a different light metering when the SPOT is pressed? Not
> OTF??

To me this does make sense. In spot mode you do perform an OTF reading, BUT
only of the centre 20f the frame. You then actually override the camera's
CAM  measurements by enforcing the camera to use the value measured in spot
mode. Hence, if you use the memory function after having taken say 3 spot
readings you will have the averaged value of these three readings stored in
memory (as desired), AND you will still have the same values set for the
first picture you're taking, so if you use the memory function or not, the
CAM measurements will still be overridden by the spot measurements.

> SOMEBODY!! Please give us an intelligent and light spreading mail!

Well, as stated I will verify if my camera in CAM also works as you
describe, if it does, then that really sucks! :(

For now, my conclusion can only be that for some reason during the first
picture the value stored in memory doesn't override the current CAM measured
value, which is weird, and indeed can cost you a picture.

Does anyone else have something to add/correct to this?

Cheers!
Olafo