Re: [OM] WTB: Reversing/retro ring for Macro

Subject: Re: [OM] WTB: Reversing/retro ring for Macro
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:19:36 -0500
At 03:16 PM 7/26/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi.
>
>Would like to find a used reversing ring (to mount a lens backwards on the
>body for increased maginfication) for my OM sytem. There have been threads
>on this topic in the past, and I seem to remember that the only
>reversing/retro ring available was the Kiron Reverse-Mate. If there are
>others out there, too, I'd love to hear about them.
>
>Thanks for your time.
>
>DB

There are others; I don't know the brands. The Kirons are very solid and
beautifully machined. There are 49 and 55mm versions. The hole through the
55 is only 30mm, or so, a good bit smaller than the bayonet opening. I
haven't seen vignetting on the combinations I've tried, but it might be
a problem with long extensions, but then you might use the bellows, which
have a reversing standard. Get a set with a ring that bayonets on the rear of
the lens to hold the aperture stopped down, since the default state on
Olympus is fully open. (The Kiron has this.) It also protects the rear
of the lens, which will be sticking out. It would have been nice if they
had put filter threads on that ring for filters-hoods, and an on-off click
button (or cable socket) for the aperture, but they didn't. Get a female
filter stack cap to protect the threads.

Paul Farrar