Re: Re:[OM] OT: Alps/Epson Print Comparison

Subject: Re: Re:[OM] OT: Alps/Epson Print Comparison
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 10:18:11 -0700
Before you make any decision to go dye sub, take a look at the Epson
Photo Sylus 1200 (just out).  Also try and get some print samples on the
Konica glossy paper.  By the way ink jet printers can print on many
different materials.  The dye subs can get very expensive on the
material side and the time it takes to output can be staggering.

The Stylus 1200 is by far the best ink jet under several thousand
dollars I have seen. At $499.00 its quite a deal.  I think Epson will
send out samples of their print outs. I know they send out samples of
the Epson 5000 on a high quality proofing stock.  The 5000 is has a
really unique looking quality output.  Unfortunately for the average
user the almost $10,000 is a little prohibitive.  It is designed as a
CYMK proofer and I think its output is comparable to a $30,000 Iris.
There was a Fuji printer out there (a hybrid photo printer printing on
photo stock) at around 20 thousand.  However it is my opinion that this
new Epson Stylus 1200 greatly narrows the gap at a small fraction of
these prices plus it is very econonical to use.

Phillip Franklin