Re:[OM] OT: Alps/Epson Print Comparison

Subject: Re:[OM] OT: Alps/Epson Print Comparison
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 22:54:14 -0400
Cc: "Denton Taylor" <denton@xxxxxxxx>, "Joel Wilcox" <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Doug Smith" <wd-smith@xxxxxxxxx>
Olympians,

It has been a long time since I posted my request for volunteers to send me an
Epson print sample.  Because of my preoccupation with photo equipment rather
than digital equipment, I have put off this follow-up for quite a while.  Now
that some of us are having a digital talk, I thought it might be appropriate to
bring this up again.

I now have a collection of six print samples for those interested to get an idea
of
what the Alps dye-sub or the recent Epson printing can do for them. Out of six,
three of these are Alps dye-sub prints in three different color densities.  You
can get an idea of what kind of color saturation the Alps printer can achieve.

The Epson printers can do remarkably well given the fact that it is an inkjet
printer.  If you put your loupe to these prints, you can see dots.  The white
area consists of dots in different colors to simulate white to your eyes.  Three
prints come from three Epson printers, one is from the earlier 600 model, one is
Photo 700, I believe, and the third from Photo EX.  The latter two prints are
the results of six-color printing.  You can see how well Epson has improved
their techniques to deceive your eyes so to speak.

Everyone has his/her taste for color rendition.  I think it would be good to
have a look at these prints in 5x7 size at least to make your decision of
printer purchase.

If you would like to just have a look and return to me within 14 days, you would
be
paying only $2.00 for postage.  If you want to keep one of these samples, it
would be $3.00 per print.

If you would like to have a look at all the six samples, please send me a $20
check in US funds.  When all the prints are returned, I will reimburse you $18.
All the sample prints have the same image of a woman carrying a fruit basket on
her
head.  So it is easy to compare different prints given the same image.

If you would like to buy or rent only a couple of prints, the cost would be $3
per print plus $2.00 for shipping.  Since I would be using the same-size
envelope to protect the prints regardless of number of prints, the shipping
remains the same.

If you have any questions, opinions, please feel free to express them to the
list.  If you would like to rent a packet of the six prints, please contact me
off list: mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx

I would like to thank Denton Taylor, Joel Wilcox, and Doug Smith (PhotoForum)
for volunteering to make these prints available.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/