Re: [OM] Olympus Photography, the Olympus Camera Club magazine

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Photography, the Olympus Camera Club magazine
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 20:23:57 -0400

I wrote:
>Most of these photographs have captions with
>indications as to which cameras and lenses were used, which is intelligible to
>non-native speakers.
>OM-4T(i),(Japanese)20-35(Japanese) F5.6 (Japanese) ISO50

>is a typical caption.  Of course if you read Japanese, you can learn the
>reviewers' comments on specific photos.
Perhaps I was not clear enough in giving the sample caption as written above.
The caption literally reads as above with Japanese characters in parentheses.
Yes, Thomas,the captions are partly in Latin letters, so people like you can
read off the technical information.

In the above sample caption, for example, if I were to translate the Japanese
text in parentheses, the whole caption would become:
OM-4Ti zoom 20-35mm F5.6 auto ISO50

The one with a prime lens would read like:
OM-4 28 (Japanese for mm)F2.8 F5.6 (Japanese for auto) ISO400

Notice that the brand name of the film is omitted and the brand name of the lens
is not mentioned.   In the actual caption, there are dots separating the camera
model from the lens and the shutter speed
used or auto from the aperture and the film speed at the end with ISO.  If the
monthly competition entrant provides the information on the lens speed, this
f-number is given without a dot.  If the f-number comes after a dot, it must be
the aperture used, rather than the lens speed in f-number.

I would like to give you some ideas as to what kind of photos are accepted and
how
many.
In the June 1999 issue:
Cover Photo: Information on the cover photo is given on the table of contents
page.  You can find this page because the word "contents" is given in English.
However information about the photographer, whose photo is featured as the cover
of the month, is given in Japanese.  No technical information on the photo.
The June issue has two pages of photos taken with the Camedia 1400-L, outputted
to the Pictography (it does not say which the Fujica Pictography printer is,
though).
The "Camedia C-1400L" is in Roman letters, so you know these are digital camera
photos.
Then comes the "Nature Photo" (in English).  The number at the end of the column
with a photo of a reviewer for this section is the number of entries this month:
in this case 326
10 photos with the reviewer's comments followed by the technical information as
I showed above, starting with the camera model name.  At the very end of the
caption, there is an entry tag number of some sort, a six-digit number starting
with No. in English.  On the last page of the "Nature Photo" section, there is a
photo who won the excellent photo designation this month. The size is
25cmx16.7cm.  This photo is a close-up of flowers with the OM-4, the zoom
100-200mmF5 at F5 auto, the 2X teleconverter, and the ISO50 film.

The regular Gallery section starts with the full-page best photo.  The
photographer used the OM-2 with the 35mm at F5.6 in auto and with the ISO100
film.  There are 15 small photos (54mmx80mm), 4 photos at about 85x125mm, and 2
photos at
125x185mm.

I already talked about the beginners gallery with ten identical-size photos at
47x65mm.

There has been a series on the introduction to digital photography which I have
mentioned before.  In the June issue the Kodak PhotoCD and the Flash Pix are
described and three originally silver-based photos which had been digitized are
discussed.

As I mentioned yesterday, several-page long article by Hajime Sakurai with his
photos (6 of them) taken with the OM-4TiB with technical information arranged as
in the gallery sections.

There are two pages of uncaptioned photos by two Olympus Camera Club chapters,
the ones in Nagano and Sendai are featured in the June issue.

Since I have a bank account in Japan, I might be able to help anyone who can pay
me in US fund equivalent for the membership dues of the Olympus Camera Club in
Japan.

If you are so interested, please contact me directly at mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
  Also if you have difficulty reaching me by e-mail, you can use my guestbook on
the Web page to contact me.  When I advertised my OM-4 sale, I tried to contact
a couple of people, but I got two failure to deliver e-mail messages.  If this
happened again, I'll post to the list.

I'll write to the Olympus Camera Club in Japan and see what they would suggest
in terms of payment after I've heard from one or more people.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/

P.S. The dues for overseas membership: 800 yen initial club entrance fee; 5400
yen for the surface and 12400 yen for airmail subscription.  Roughly 120 yen to
the US dollar.