Re[2]: [OM] Winder-2 malfunction

Subject: Re[2]: [OM] Winder-2 malfunction
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 16:33:46 -0600
At 11:38 AM 7/5/99 +0800, Jim Teo wrote:
>     Garth
>
>     What is the last time you used your winder? Is it about a year or
>     longer?

No, it got used pretty regularly for the last couple of years (about once every
six weeks or so, usually for several rolls at a time).  It simply started
firing erratically at a social function I was at, and during the course of the
evening, stopped working completely.  I've tried all the things that have been
suggested on this list (and a bunch that have been suggested off-list), and
nothing seems to bring it back to life.  My thoughts first turned to dirty
contacts or incomplete electrical connections between winder and battery pack,
but these don't seem to be the problem.  I've since decided that I probably
have little to lose by partially disassembling it and seeing if there's
anything obvious going on (like a corroded or disconnected wire, a bad trace on
the interior circuit board, a malfunctioning trigger switch, etc.).  I've had
some electronics training in my younger years, still tinker some times, and I'm
not a complete doofus, but it's certainly possible that I'll make things worse,
rather than fix it.  Of course, "make things worse" is a relative concept -- it
doesn't work *now*.  If it still doesn't work after I spelunk around, I'll
probably just buy a new one.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

>     I had the same experience once where I have not use it for more than a
>     year. Perhaps it could due to the under used of electronic circuits,
>     but now it performs normal as if I've not use my equipments (body,
>     flash, MD) for 3 months, I'll make a point to dry-run them.
>
>     Many equipment fails (poor shutter accuracy, flash not able to charge
>     properly, etc) because of under used and Not over used. Therefore Do
>     not neglect them for too long.

Understood, but I don't think that's the problem.  (Even if it was, saying
"Don't neglect them too long" helps everyone else on the List who *doesn't*
have this problem yet, but not me...  ;-)

Garth