Re: [OM] OM-40/PC Advise needed...

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-40/PC Advise needed...
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:37:43 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: Vlad L. Loukiantchenko
>I have an opportunity to buy used OM-40/PC with Zuiko 35-70 3.5/4.5 zoom.
>But I heard that this Oly has some problems with light leaks because of old
>sealed foam or hole for MD coupling... Can somebody give me advise: what I
>should check before buying this stuff? Is it worth at all?

Hello Vlad,

There have been quite a few favourable postings about the OM-40 in the last
few months (from Olaf, George S and Hans in particular) I am sending this
collective wisdom in a Word doc to your email address. They influenced me
into changing my intention of buying an OM-1 into buying an OM-40. Within a
couple of weeks of my buying it, the postings have been about light leaks
and locked up mirrors!

I'm delighted with it though and have yet to experience any problems. Only
time will tell whether I have a battery eater, but if it turns out to be one
I'll just remove batteries between outings - not a very time consuming job;
a lot quicker than changing films and we don't complain about having to do
that. The cassette window doesn't seem to let light in, but I may cover it
with black tape in case  - easy enough to peel it back if I forget what
film's in there. I don't like the uncapped hole for the Winder coupling, but
a small piece of card held in place with another piece of tape cures that.

I paid 79 UKP from www.mxv.co.uk who had three of them at that price in
condition exc+ and another at 129 UKP in exc++ condition. The brassing
around the strap fittings and the corners of the base plate disappeared
magically after wiping them over with lighter fuel and painting over them
with a permanent black marker pen, and it now looks immaculate.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx