[OM] Re: OM Squeamish (was "OM-40/PC Advise needed...")

Subject: [OM] Re: OM Squeamish (was "OM-40/PC Advise needed...")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:28:04 -0500
At 06:59 PM 6/17/99 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/17/99 5:21:42 PM EST, keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< There have been quite a few favourable postings about the OM-40 in the
last
> few months (from Olaf, George S and Hans in particular)
>                               < snip >
> an OM-40. Within a couple of weeks of my buying it, the postings have been
>about light leaks and locked up mirrors!
>  >>
>       Keith,
>       I don't think I had a problem with my OM gear in 15 years of using
>the stuff, but         belonging to this list exposes us to _everyone's_
>problems
>and you start  thinking: "That sounds like MY (fill in the blank-
>OM-1,2,3,4,10,PC,77,88,2000)   body! "  And start worrying if you made the
>right decision! Whereas if you didn't  belong to the list, you might only
>know one or two other OM users and never       hear about the problems!
>Scheesch!
>
>       Regards,
>       George S.

When I first joined the list about a year and a half ago, I had just bought
what is now OM-2S #1 and was immediately subjected to a series of threads
about how bad the OM-2S boards were and, bad or not, how you couldn't find
replacements anyway.  My board has appeared to be just fine.  I was lucky.
Except that bod had a shutter string.  A camera with a shutter string would
be very easy to dump.

It's risky buying used gear.  It's a lot easier to dump a camera with a
subtle problem on an unwitting buyer than for an unwitting buyer to figure
out whether a used body is good while learning its characteristics and
features.  I bought a nice OM-2N on consignment from a good camera store in
Santa Barbara at a good price and was thrilled.  I sent it in a few months
later (after the warranty period of course) for CLA and discovered that the
shutter had been lubed.  Cleaned up the darn thing wouldn't work at all.
This was particularly insidious dumping I thought.

If you have a good bod, that's great. Most of the cameras that we use are
by definition good examples, else we couldn't use them, right?  Enjoy and
enjoy.  But if you're considering a used camera, it can be a walk on the
dark side.  I don't say people should not go there, but it is good to learn
from others' experience if you can. That's what is great about this list.
Ignorance may be bliss, but not for long.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA