Re: [OM] Scanning: film curvature problems

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning: film curvature problems
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 01:06:05 +0000
Welcome to the list David - and I am not being sarcastic.

I disagree that a list moderator is needed.

This list has been in existence for several years in it's present state of
unbridled anarchy and I hope it will continue in its present form for years to
come.

As someone who has been subscribed to this list for a couple of years I think I
have
a perspective that gives me a good shot at being able to predict what would
happen
if it were to be moderated to a OM tech only state - it would wither and die.
(please excuse the hubris)

It would die because there are only a finite number of topics and they would
quickly
be exhausted.  One day one of the remaining list members would say "let's not
go
over topics repeatedly since we have the archives" and that would be the finale.

I say this because a large percentage of the available topics 'have' been gone
into
- they come and go like waves on a shore.  Check the archives for advice on
batteries
;-)

However, just recently Tim Hughes has gone to town on the exhaustive testing of
various diodes to keep the OM1s alive using silver oxide batteries.  I am not
sure
Tim wouldn't have been dissuaded from his great efforts if he thought he was
going to
be ruled off-topic.

How about Gary's lens testing? After all, he doesn't restrict himself to Zuikos
only
and his and others comments on the superlative Tamron 400mm f4 would never have
been
revealed to the rest of us - only now we also know you are possibly better off
enlarging the results from a Zuiko 250mm f2 ;-)

I think there is another reason why the list would die - many of the most
interesting contributors and participants would become bored stiff by sterile
tech
talk and would depart for more fertile pastures.  There are presently 271 list
subscribers and 201 digest subscribers - with some degree of overlap.  Those
who
actively participate are possibly in a minority I would say.  Think of it like
a play
- if the actors depart the stage what is the audience to do?  Are they going to
be
satisfied by stage hands chatting about the props and lighting and such?

It has been mentioned on many occasions, by various people, that this list is
close
to unique on the Web in the sense of community that has developed.  Calling it
a list
is almost demeaning.  I think it might have something to do with Olympus
equipment
holding  a certain attraction for people who think a little bit differently.  I
am
risking hubris here again I know but I think there must be something different
about
people who can eschew the common wisdom that Nikon and Canon are IT in favour
of an
old fashioned and out of date system.  I don't think people with the Olympus
mindset
are happy being just techie geeks - that would require them to also be narrow
minded
- almost the antithesis of the mindset I think.

Only one 'knowledgeable' community member has departed in a huf recently, to my
recollection, and that was not for any reasons associated with off-topic posts.
 In
the last couple of years I think there have been remarkably few people  (low
single
digits) leave due to acrimony and even fewer for any reasons related to topic.

Even Frank, who I know has some sympathy for your views, has stayed with we
rabble
through thick and thin.  He won't admit it but he is probably just waiting to
find
out what really happened to Vert and Toky.

If it wasn't for off topic posts I would never have known that you willingly
jump
out of a tree from 30' up when Pommerine ants (something like that) find you!

Giles