[OM] Scanning: film curvature problems

Subject: [OM] Scanning: film curvature problems
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 14:30:41 -0700
Since the topic of the topic of has created more posts than the original
few anwsers I decided to post yet one more observation on film curvature
as it relates to scanners.

At home I have Minolta Quick Scan 35 plus and the film holder holds film
flat enough that I could not see any reasonable film curvature after
placing the film into the scanner.
In our offices we have a Polaroid Sprint Scan 35 Plus and a new Umax
Power Look III.
I told some of the artists to find the most curved film strips they
could.  Usually
they were long strips wrapped real tight and left for a few years.  They
did have a sleeve over them.  We could not see any curvature problem
from either scanner.  We even tried some curvey medium format film on
the Umax.  Once the lid was down, no problem.

My summary to my informal test is that the person's scanner was either
out of wack (technical term for those not so inclined) or his photos
were just soft in the corners because he did not pay close attention to
Gary's famous lens tests.  The best thing about scanning at close to
3000 dpi is that  you really see the quality of the photos even better
than a genuine Zuikio f1.8 50mm custom loupe.  So Mr. Low I hope you see
the significance here and will quit your bitchin about off topic posts.

Btw, with so much scanning going on at the office, the president broungt
in all of his old film and slides and authorized the purchase of a new
Polaroid Sprint Scan 4000 dpi scanner and a new Minolta Dimage Scan
Multi.  So I will be chest deep in scanners & film.
Now to get that a full time scanner operator so I can slip in my old
OM-1 shots from 1974.

Phillip Franklin
"a Zukiholic in a digital world"