Re: Silent camera was: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???

Subject: Re: Silent camera was: [OM] I need a new camera - suggestions???
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 14:43:18 -0400
Cc: Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When you invoke the silent mode, does the LCD show an "L" on the left side?
   That indicates your in "Lurker" mode :-).

There is a MAJOR difference between regular and silent modes.  If the
camera doesn't sound significantly different, you aren't in silent mode.
I've had people use my Hexar in this mode and turn to me after taking a
picture and say:  "Did it take?  I didn't hear anything."   It's not
_really_ silent, but in an environment with normal ambient noise, nobody
else will hear it but you.

I don't know if the newer Hexar's can be modified to go into silent mode or
not.  You'll have to ask the question somewhere else.  Come to think of it,
try reading the messages posted on photo.net at
http://photo.net/photo/hexar.html, there's probably a discussion about it
there.  Otherwise, check out Konica at http://www.konica.com/.  The current
text doesn't say anything about the silent mode though.

Skip