Re: [OM] New lens tests with a few surprises!

Subject: Re: [OM] New lens tests with a few surprises!
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 14:28:26 -0400
Gary Reese wrote:
>I've just posted SQF lens tests for the following lenses:
>OM-1 w/ mirror lockup:
>35-80mm f/2.8 Zuiko
>28mm f/3.5 Zuiko
>OM-4 w/ mirror and auto diaphragm prefire, plus Bogen Telephoto Lens Support:
>35-80mm f/2.8 Zuiko at 80mm
>65-200mm f/4 Zuiko at 90mm
>200mm f/4 Zuiko MC
>Canon FD lenses:
>50mm f/2
>Highlights: 1) the Bogen Telephoto Lens Support makes a dramatic difference
>in the image quality of the 200mm f/4 (this puppy is a rather nice lens when
>it's "muzzled"), 2) OM-4 mirror and auto diaphragm prefire seems to be
>responsible for an improvement in image quality in the 35-80mm f/2.8 zoom at
>80mm (if you own one you probably don't shoot with a OM-1/2 class camera,
>anyway), 3) a dented filter rim shows a noticeable degrading in wide aperture
>performance for a 28mm f/3.5 Zuiko (decentering effects?).
>Enjoy the 35-80mm results!  All of these are posted at:
>http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm
Thanks for your time and diligence, Gary!

For a while I even had a doubt as to the suitability of the test method (the
choice of 1:40 scale for all the lenses, for example) chosen by Gary, but these
results have removed my doubt.  For the sake of comparison, he made the image in
the viewfinder to the same size regardless of the type of lenses under
consideration.  For this kind of tests to be fair to all the lenses, one needs
to make sure that the testing conditions do not favor certain lenses over the
other.  This Gary has finally done by employing the OM-4 and the lens support.

When you use the results for your decision to use a given lens, however,  I
think that we should take into account that these  are a home laboratory tests.
For the field condition, when you have plenty of light and when your goal is not
as severe as the reproduction of a geological survey map of 60" long, you might
be able to get away with even handholding the camera with the 200mm/4/5.

BTW, I just checked my 200mm/5 lens on the OM2000 to see how it would be like to
focus using this body.  I didn't have any difficulty, even though the focusing
screen could be brighter.  I would like to say to those who own and have used
the 200mm lenses. Continue to enjoy using the 200mm as before unless you want to
make huge enlargements.  Those of us who use the lens professionally, Gary's
results as well as my own tests indicate that the best results obtain when using
the 2-4 screen on the OM-4(T) on a tripod with lens support.  I am in the
process of  getting a smaller lens support than the Bogen telephoto support.  I
am getting one from Japan.   When I get mine and use it to support some of my
lenses, I'll post to the list.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/