Re: [OM] New lens tests with a few surprises!

Subject: Re: [OM] New lens tests with a few surprises!
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:12:08 -0500
At 01:53 AM 5/25/99 EDT, Gary you wrote in part:
>Highlights: 1) the Bogen Telephoto Lens Support makes a dramatic difference
>in the image quality of the 200mm f/4 (this puppy is a rather nice lens when
>it's "muzzled"), 2) OM-4 mirror and auto diaphram prefire seems to be
>responsible for an improvement in image quality in the 35-80mm f/2.8 zoom at
>80mm (if you own one you probably don't shoot with a OM-1/2 class camera,
>anyways), 3) a dented filter rim shows a noticable degrading in wide
aperture
>performance for a 28mm f/3.5 Zuiko (decentering effects?).

Hi Gary,

Certainly not a surprise to me, but it's very pleasant to have your
verification of results that I have found but certainly could not quantify
as well for the benefit of the group.  It probably goes without saying
(I'll say it anyway) that the lens support will dramatically improve the
results of the 200/f4 with the OM-1 as well.  Will the OM-1 with MLU do as
well as the OM-4T in timer mode?  Perhaps that's one for the to-do list. ;-)

I have relegated the 200/f4 to macro duty, since I've got a 85-250 now for
"small aperture" work, but it does good service in that capacity, more or
less permanently mounted on the Bogen lens support.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA