Re: [OM] 300mm f4.5 multicoated examples: reflect green?

Subject: Re: [OM] 300mm f4.5 multicoated examples: reflect green?
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 15:50:26 -0400
On: Sat, 8 May 1999 07:14:08 EDT
Paul Shings (Pauls0627@xxxxxxx) wrote:

I put the list together based on information supplied by list members. I
then
forwarded it to Lee, who has kindly posted it on his web site. Yes,
there are
a lot of gaps, and I am always looking for additional data. The
information
I'm looking for is:

lens type (e.g. 24/2)
is it multicoated (green reflections; sometimes these can be faint and
difficult to see)
how is the lens labeled? (F. Zuiko, Zuiko, Zuiko MC, etc...)
serial number

Paul Schings
Coventry, Rhode Island, USA

I followed up and sent Paul a list of my 9 Zuikos.  I found that they
all agreed with the labeling and green reflection rules.  I didn't have
any trouble seeing the green when I used the following method:

Hold the lens at arms length below a table lamp and place your eye next
to the lamp shade at about the same level as the bulb.  Look down into
the front or rear of the lens and wobble it about a bit.  You will see
multiple reflections of the lamp bulb from the various elements with
each reflection being a distinct color.  If the lens is SC you will see
only yellow/orange and purple/red/magenta.  If the lens is MC at least
one of the reflections will be distinctly green.

Out of curiosity I gathered my non-Zuikos together to see how they
behaved.  I have 58mm/1.2 and 135mm/2.8 Minolta Rokkors.  In OM mount I
also have a 24mm/2.5 Tamron, 35-70mm/2.8-4 Sigma, 70-150mm/3.8 Vivitar
(with matched multiplier), 70-150mm/4 Kiron, 80-200mm/4.5 Makinon and a
Samigon 2X multiplier.  All of these lenses are marked as multi-coated
(except the matched multiplier) and all (including both multipliers)
distinctly reflect green except the Kiron.  Who knows, perhaps the Kiron
isn't really multi-coated as the label says.  The Makinon is extremely
green, about the color of a traffic light.  However, unlike a traffic
light and the other lenses, it doesn't produce any shades from the red
end of the spectrum.

Chuck Norcutt