Re: [OM] 300mm f4.5 multicoated examples: reflect green?

Subject: Re: [OM] 300mm f4.5 multicoated examples: reflect green?
From: Jan Steinman <jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 08:50:09 -0700
>From: "John Hudson" <jahudson@xxxxxxxxx>

>... It would seem to me that at some point in time in the manufacturing of
>each lens that the coating changed from SC to MC and stayed at MC
>thereafter...

Yes, that would make sense, but your assumption:

>Why would Olympus want to swap back and forth between SC and MC
>on any particular line of lens?

may be based on a faulty premise. It is more likely that they used
discontiguous serial numbers. The common meaning of "serial" aside, it
seems likely that they issued them in blocks, and perhaps those blocks were
mixed up.

Another explanation is that sometimes front elements get replaced, and
possibly retaining rings get mixed up.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:jans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068-1331 USA
: +1.503.635.3229