RE: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4

Subject: RE: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 23:43:07 -0400
I thought I should clean up my piled-up Olympus digests tonight, but decided to
have another look at the digest last Friday.  The thread about 200mmF4/F5 Zuiko
vs. the zoom caught my eyes and I decided to have a look at Gary's lens test for
the first time. Particularly since I have a chance to borrow a 200mm/4 tomorrow.

Gary Reese wrote in his lens on his Web site:

>200mm f/5 Zuiko (multi-coated) with Olympus 2X >Teleconverter
>Vignetting = B
>Distortion = None!
>Aperture  Center     Corner
>f/5 (10)  F         F
>f/8 (16)  D-        D-
>f/11 (22) C         C
>f/16 (32) B-        B-
>f/22 (44) C+        C
>f/32 (64) D+        D
>Note: Lens shows good contrast at f/16 at the expense of >lower resolution;
remarkable lack of distortion.  Poor results >are perhaps the reason Olympus
dropped the 200mm f/5 as >a recommended combination with the 2X Teleconverter.
>Nearly impossible to focus even with a Varimagnifinder and a >1-8 screen.

The last two sentences made me want to test my 200mm f/5 as for the focusing
problem with a 2X teleconverter.  My 200mm is probably single-coated (without MC
designation nor green reflection).  I put my Kenko 2X converter and put the
200mm on to see how well I could focus with a 2-4 screen in my OM-4.  In room
light at night, I was able to focus without any problem.  My setting and Gary's
might differ, but I have a problem with his statement.

Also I should point out that Olympus has NOT dropped the 200mm/5 from a list of
recommended lenses for the 2X converter in my copy of the System Price List
(dated September, 98) by Olympus Japan.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/