RE: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4

Subject: RE: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 00:38:42 -0400
I wrote in my previous post:

>Also I should point out that Olympus has NOT dropped the 200mm/5 from a list of
>recommended lenses for the 2X converter in my copy of the System Price List
>(dated September, 98) by Olympus Japan.

I checked my files of Olympus literature and found why Gary Reese thought that
Olympus dropped the 200mm/5 from a list of recommended lenses for the 2X
converter.  In the OM-3Ti/4Ti combo brochure (printed in Germany), the table
uses the word "applicable lenses" for the 2X-A teleconverter and lists only the
100mm/2.8 and the 200mm/4 probably because they are the only two lenses
applicable in production! Also the Olympus America Web site lens information
lists (plainly) these two lenses.

Olympus Japan's OM System Price List states, however, that lenses recommended
for application are the 135mm/2.8, 135mm/3.5, 200mm/5, 100-200/5 and 50-250mm/5
in addition to the aforementioned two lenses. Olympus Japan is kinder to people
who are using discontinued lenses.

Speaking of discontinuation, I've read in the Japanese rec.photo NG in the
Usenet that the 85mm/2 lens will be put back in production.  The lens would
become available as new in June, if I remember correctly of the month in which
it will be showing up again in Japanese camera stores.

I hope that I have put the minds of some people who are still using these lenses
at rest.

I also want to point out that the teleconverter plus the Zuiko combination would
have a balance problem on a tripod.  Perhaps a gizmo, described in my Japanese
Photo Equipment catalog in the Kenko section, to support the lens as well as the
camera will help with the OM camera plus a long telephoto.  I am afraid that
some poor results Gary got might be due to the balance problem and not to the
lens capabilities.

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/