Re: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4

Subject: Re: [OM] 200mm F4 / F5 vs. 65/200mm F4
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:56:47 EDT
Olaf writes:

> Does anyone have some test data (Gary?) for comparing the zoom against those
>  two fixed length lenses?

I've been waiting to see this topic raised by someone  :-)    The data has
been posted for two months at
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

I've already shot the 85-250mm f/5 zoom at 180mm and will have that posted in
the near future.  The 180mm f/2.8 was posted over the last week.  Posted for
sometime now has been the 100mm f/2.8 with 2X teleconverter and the 100-200mm
f/5 S Zuiko.

My personal conclusion is that the 65-200 is the way to go for 180-200mm
focal length shooting, if not 105 to 200mm shooting!  I suspect that only the
180mm f/2 Zuiko can outperform it at 180-200mm, among Zuikos.  It could be
many moons before we locate a 180mm f/2 to test, though.

The 200mm f/4 Zuiko tests were so underwhelming that I reshot the
multi-coated lens to make sure I didn't do anything wrong (I didn't) and I
borrowed a single coated lens to have a "second opinion."

At this point I have a one word response to the prime versus zoom quality
argument: "dogma."  I wonder what that translates to in the other native
languages of OM List subscribers?  I may as well add: what does "flame"
translate to?  At least I have data to hide behind if a flame war breaks out.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV